AZ Pediatría
Article not rated

Vol. 17 - Num. 68

Brief Original Papers

Characteristics of Primary Care rotation of pediatric residents

María El Kadaoui Calvoa, M Gascón Garcíab, A Méndez-Echevarríac, Teresa del Rosal Rabesd

aPediatra. CS Arroyo de la Media Legua. Madrid. España.
bMIR-Pediatría. Hospital Universitario La Paz. Madrid. España.
cServicio de Pediatría, Enfermedades Infecciosas y Tropicales Pediátricas. Hospital Universitario La Paz. Madrid. España.
dServicio de Infectología Pediátrica. Hospital Universitario Infantil La Paz. Madrid. España.

Correspondence: M El Kadaoui. E-mail:

Reference of this article: El Kadaoui Calvo M, Gascón García M, Méndez-Echevarría A, del Rosal Rabes T. Characteristics of Primary Care rotation of pediatric residents. Rev Pediatr Aten Primaria. 2015;17:329-31.

Published in Internet: 14-10-2015 - Visits: 11781


Objective: to determine whether training in Primary Care (PC) during pediatric residency in the Autonomous Community of Madrid (ACM) follows the recommendations established in the Ministerial Order SCO 3148/2006: mandatory rotation with a minimum length of 3 months, being advisable to distribute it in two periods (R1-R2 and R3-R4).

Material and methods: a survey by telephone or e-mail was carried out and answered by a pediatric resident and supervised by an attending physician, tutor of residents. All ACM hospitals with accredited training in this speciality were included.

Results: in the ACM there are 19 hospitals with training in Pediatrics, and in all of them the rotation in PC is mandatory. In 58% (11/19) of them the rotation lasts for three months, being shorter in the rest. In 42% (8/19) of the cases, the rotation is divided into two periods, but only in 4 centers as recommended by the Ministerial Order.

Conclusions: only in one out of five hospitals in the ACM is PC training organized according to the Ministerial Order.


Pediatrics Postgraduate education in Medicine Primary care Resident Training



This article has no comments yet.