Advertisement
AZ Pediatría
Article not rated

Vol. 26 - Num. 101

Clinical Reviews in Digestive Diseases

An explosive intake

Alba Gasset Garcíaa, Iván Carabaño Aguadoa

aSección de Gastroenterología, Hepatología y Nutrición Infantil. Servicio de Pediatría. Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre. Madrid. España.

Correspondence: A Gasset. E-mail: agassetgarcia@gmail.com

Reference of this article: Gasset García A, Carabaño Aguado I. An explosive intake . Rev Pediatr Aten Primaria. 2024;26:85-7. https://doi.org/10.60147/87beda25

Published in Internet: 20-03-2024 - Visits: 2038

Abstract

The ingestion of firecrackers poses a potential risk to the patient's life if they contain the toxic component called yellow phosphorus (YFP). Fortunately, this material is not currently used in our country for the manufacture of pyrotechnic products, but this is not the case in other regions of the world such as Asia or Latin America. The ingestion of YFP can cause the death of up to 20-50% of cases, by toxic accumulation in the organism, producing mainly hepatic failure and consequently multiorgan failure. Firecrackers in Spain contain non-toxic materials for the organism, so their ingestion may cause nausea and abdominal discomfort, but not a lethal risk for the patient.

Keywords

Firecracker Foreign body Intoxication Yellow phosphorus

Comments

This article has no comments yet.